My New Craft Station/Office

Leave a Comment

Over the course of about week, I constructed my new craft station/office. I have been wanting a new place to craft where I had access to everything and I didn't have to constantly fight to keep clean. 

WARNING: CUTENESS OVERLOAD!


My free-range rabbit is cute but trying to do clay and keep it clean with any animal in the house is a pain. So I had to use a screen and constantly clean. 


You can also see it was a pretty small area and my IKEA laptop desk was just too small. 



 So I set to find a large affordable desk I could work on but honestly a lot of them were either not deep enough, too expensive, or impractical for my purposes. So I build this beauty for under $50!



I used this tutorial from Instructables, but I made some major tweaks. First off I already had enough straight PVC pipe which was a major cost saver. The Instructable uses a hallow door which would have given me good depth but too much width at 8 ft long. So instead I chose to use plywood cut to 2 ft x 5 ft. The entire sheet of plywood was $20 but that allowed me enough plywood to double layer it for my desk, make shelves for a printer cart, and I still have enough plywood for a Lego tray for my daughter. So I only used about $13 worth of plywood. I attached 1" x 2 " boards around the edge of my table so that I could secure the 1" x 4" pieces around the edge without screws showing. The second layer of plywood hides the screws I used to attach my 1" x 2" boards and is secured with wood glue and 1/2" screws. I sanded the entire piece and applied Antique White stain and 2 coats of polyurethane. The PVC pipe is painted with Folk Art Metallic in Gun Metal. 


My Peg board is something I already had but I wanted to update it a little so I used Martha Stewart Chalkboard Paint in Gray and then finished the board with some white trim. I did a little sign but it was so late at night, plus I had already taken my sleeping pills, that I spelled Designs wrong, ha ha! So I will be redoing it. 



The printer cart was my final project because I desperately needed somewhere to store my shipping supplies. I looked everywhere but most carts were going to cost me at least $30 and more. So I bought some 2" x 2" boards for my 4 legs, used plywood for my shelves, and reinforced each shelf with 1" x 2" boards I already had. The 4 casters cost me $5 at Sutherlands and the 2" x 2" boards cost me $5 so I ended up only spending $10 on the cart. The top and bottom of the cart are secured with 2" screws and the middle shelf is supported by 2" corner brackets. Nothing fancy just functional. 

SEE THE FULL TOUR BELOW!



Thanks for Stopping By!







0 comments:

Post a Comment