Peach Fuzz: The Cute Name for Facial Hair

Leave a Comment

When talking about peach fuzz I cannot help but think of my little 77 year old grandmother who has a full face of it since I can remember. I never thought anything of it and rather liked it on her. It was like a light snow white fuzz and she has never tried to hide it. She never wore makeup so never thought twice about what it would be like to have to apply makeup over it. Needless to say genetics was and is not in my favor. At only 27 I already have that light fuzz all over my face and wonder if in 30 years menopause will deal me the death blow. I already find myself steering away from maybe especially heavy foundations as their application can be difficult over fine hair and find it becomes concentrated in areas where the fuzz is much more prevalent like the side burn area. So I made a big decision...wax it all. That's right I waxed it all and I learned a little something through the experience.

I have had excess facial hair since I was 13 which was barely noticeable except my upper lip which earned me the nickname "Magnum P.I." while is school. Kids can be such dicks. Anywhoo I tried hair removal creams but found my skin couldn't take it and unfortunately didn't learn about bleaching until well out of primary school. That was my saving grace until I started waxing my upper lip a few months back and I find I am usually satisfied unless I happen to be in a Maurices dressing room which for some ungodly reason has lighting that will reveal every stray hair, wrinkle, and imperfection. So with that success under my belt I started thinking it was time to get rid of my peach fuzz side burns and after watching multiple videos decided I would wax them. 

Pain wise waxing peach fuzz is not as bad as your eyebrows, in my opinion. It will be tender since it is an area of your face that is not use to such a sensation but the hair is not as thick and I find it much easier to pull out. I was actually surprised it didn't hurt as much as my upper lip. So after what I would consider one of my single greatest decisions this year, which I'm not sure what that says about me, I proceeding to make one of the worst decisions to date. Instead of using a small razor to remove the rest of the fuzz, which I felt was too manly of a course, I proceeding to wax my entire face. The pain wasn't the issue as I was using those wax strips you rub between your hands and found that one strip could be used up to 3 times lessening the blow. Afterward I was very pleased with myself and decided if I ever got a chance to travel back in time I would tell 13 year old me to tidy that shit up. This feeling was rather short live though and within two days my skin rebelled. My skin was still slightly red which merely looked like a sunburn but worse were these tiny little raised bumps all over my skin. They were not visible unless I got very close to the mirror and were very dry. It seems that it ripping out the hair I either pulled up small areas of skin or irritated the hair follicles. Since then, almost a week later, I've been undergoing a routine of light facial scrubbing followed by soothing oils to re-hydrate and repair the skin. By the time my skin is better the damn hair will have grown back. 

So now I'm thinking if I got that time machine it's a tie between going back and telling myself "this is one of your more moronic ideas," or going back and telling 13 year old me that most of those kids won't be sitting so pretty in 14 years. The fact of the matter is that having polycystic ovarian syndrome has a lot more unpleasant side effects than just cysts and as most of us know hormones are not our friend. At some point I learned to embrace that and then happened to watch too many YouTube videos one evening and got a little randy with the wax! I feel that waxing my upper lip and sideburns will be here to stay but as for the rest of my face I'd rather have smooth healthy skin than try to be a completely hairless mammal.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment